Located at 1911 27th Street, this building was initially constructed in 1964 as the Police, Fire, Civil Defense facility. Police moved to the combined law enforcement center in 1995. The Fire Department expanded with an office for the full time Fire Marshal in 2002, and Deputy EMC in 2009. The above ground portion houses the three fire department administrative offices, living quarters and sleeping quarters, and two small day offices. Below ground, is the Emergency Operations Center.
Access to the Fire Chief's, Fire Marshal's and Deputy EMC's offices are directly off the main entry hall. The Engine Bay is through glass doors, and firefighter living quarters are down two adjacent halls.
Firefighters work 24 hours shifts. During non-working hours, living quarters include a TV/common area room, with adjacent kitchenette and dining table.
Each firefighter has a personal bed in a common dormitory. The beds fold up and out of the way when not in use. Lockers are provided for personal items. Showers and restroom facilities are provided adjacent to the sleeping quarters.
Adjacent to the Chief's office, is a conference room, also used as a small training classroom and for Emergency Management conferencing.
A classroom with seating capacity of about 35, is located in the basement adjacent to the EOC.
The truck bay at Central Fire Station houses the 6 primary response apparatus, Ladder-1, Rescue-1, Engine-1, Engine-2, Engine-3, and Tanker-1. Inside the truck bay is the Fire Department radio dispatch center.